Monday, November 24, 2008

Poetry, my escape

Music and poetry to me our escapes, and I believe they can be for anyone. Whenever I'm home I constantly listen to music, whenever I'm on a bus stop I'm constantly putting poems together in my head. No matter where I am, I'm doing this, therefore to me I'm not even really there. If I'm having a bad day or someone is irking me, I sing songs in my head, sometimes even out loud. I respect every type of music, that's something that a lot of so called music lovers don't do. I do have my favorites, but I'll listen to anything as long as its catchy. To me it's not about the instrumentals as much as it is the lyrics, because the lyrics to me are just a poem, but when its put with the instrumentals it then becomes a song. I love poetry so therefore I love music, from Country to Rap to Gospel, to me its all the same when it's down on paper. Writing has always been a big part of my life, but I think it evolved out of my love for reading. I could write a poem to describe feelings I never really felt since I was about 10, but you'd never be able to tell I never felt them. I still remember the first song I ever wrote, what I was doing when I wrote it, and who I first shared it with. Even though I lost the paper with the lyrics I would still be able to pull them back out of my brain, because like many other poems I've wrote, they're stored in there. Poetry and music to me are one in the same, a musician is merely a poet, a song writer is a poet, music is poetry. And it can take you as far as you let it, because no matter what there is always someone with an interest in music.

No comments: